Skip to main content

New Year!

I can't believe how soon the end of this year has approached us! So quickly and so much has happened personally as well as globally. Crazy talk! Well, I think it is safe to say that it has been a real year of mental progression and self-development. The year started as early months of heavy lows and true sadness for what I felt I had lost. At the time, it was hard to see past the new label that I felt trapped by and I was blinkered by MS as a disease. It felt like this new thing was out to destroy me, without permission and I had no choice but to surrender.

Unless you've ever received news like this, that you have to cope with daily, knowing you can't change the fact it is permanent, you have no idea what it is to chew yourself up about it. I have been lucky enough to come into contact and befriend people in similar circumstances, that have to live with life-long conditions and they have inspired me, pushed me and motivated me endlessly and for that I am so grateful. To all the people I have met this year and to everyone who has supported me tirelessly, no words can express my gratitude. For everyone that I love who has not told me it is going to be ok and has not told me that they get it, I thank you. I had a moment with a dear friend back in February, who said something to me that I won't forget. She sat by me and looked me in the eye and said "A good friend is someone who loves you even when it's not ok, so I will love you even when it is not ok". Those words were really what I needed to hear and I know she meant them.

By April, that's when I started picking myself up. I realised I couldn't let this define me and was the beginning of my dedication to learning to meditate and focusing on mindfulness. I've got to say, the colouring books are really pretty, but it is all about the science behind it! Focusing on the present moment and showing some kindness and comfort to yourself as if you were an old friend can change so much. Practising mindfulness can even impact treatment effectiveness and cut back on medication dosage (see Mindfulness For Health by Danny Penman and Vidyamala Burch). I got my spark back and, looking back, I had some really awesome times this year. So I'd like to share some with you.




These are the tulips fields of Amsterdam. This was taken back in April. I was super scared of booking this trip as I was worried about relapsing, but I braved it and it was so worth it! Amsterdam was stunning and me and my friend went to Keukenhoff, the tulip gardens in Amsterdam. It was so beautiful and refreshing to be surrounded by colour and beauty and made me really think about the joys that are still out there to be had.


My friend was studying at Oxford uni and these were the views that we got to enjoy. It was stunning and calming to be here and Oxford as a city has a lot to offer. My friends really picked me up when I didn't want to see anyone or do anything and they took me in and fed me so much cake and walked me through these beautiful parts. We laughed so hard and had so much fun. We went to some cool museums, lounged in the glamour that is Oxford University and enjoyed rooftop cafes too.


My best friend took me to this amazing restaurant in central London. Knowing I am a lover of all things delicious, she knew I would appreciate this fusion of Caribbean and Latin cuisine bundled into a rustic, homely restaurant with James Brown beats and old school R'n'B blaring out it's speakers. Killer meats and satisfying flavours really put a smile on my face. This sounds like a simple pleasure, but anyone that knows me at all knows that food is what truly makes me happy!


Heading down the Main river as I regained my confidence to travel. Germany is one of my favourite countries to visit and alongside the delicious ice creams and wonderful cobbled streets, the botanic gardens were one of my favourite attractions of the city of Frankfurt.


Look how stunning England was this summer. The weather was glorious and the hills just kept rolling. This is Corfe Castle in Swanage. Headed down to the coast after and it was a sight to see. 


The last picture I promise! But that doesn't mean there weren't many more moments that made me feel the richness of life and embrace all this life has to offer. This is my view of the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, Turkey just as afternoon prayers were being called. This was a hugely spiritual place for me to be and the ambience around the sacred chambers amongst historical religious relics were mind-blowing. I really felt in touch with God and my own personal beliefs and I think for me, being in Turkey itself put so much into perspective. With the ongoing refugee crisis, I came across many people, some younger or the same age as me doing all they could just to survive. It was grounding to have conversations with a couple of them and seeing people doing anything they could merely to live in peace and safety. It really put into perspective what is important in life and how we should never take anything for granted. We should always be thankful for all we have and gracious for all that befalls us, good and bad. We will always have something to be grateful for, so I will always look for it, no matter how big or small the least I will always have to be thankful for is that I am breathing and am in the presence of wonderful human beings.

To everyone reading this, no matter who you are, where you are and what you're going through, have hope a strength. Waste no time on where you can't get it back and make the most of all the moments you are given. To a new year, a peaceful year, a year of prosperity, love and success to all and most importantly, a year of togetherness, compassion and good health. Happy New Year!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Years

When I got the letter through the door, it struck me how once this very small intrusion would have made my heart stop. I would probably feel sick, be filled with trepidation and probably just let my mum open it. Then that would cushion the blow. Nearly 7 years post-diagnosis, I'm a little calmer about those formal envelopes that follow me into my home a few times a year, taking the approach that there's nothing to deal with until the letter is completely read. On the letter; after another annual MRI, 3 years after my infusion treatment (Lemtrada), there's been no worsening in my lesions and no new ones. And I just thank God. The optimist in me wants to jump up and down, and bounce off the ceiling cheering. The realist in me tells me this was really lucky and it's a miracle and this will change one day, that this is temporary. I'm working to sit somewhere between these two voices; being grateful and working to keep myself well. Stress levels are the main reason I was

My Medicine

Hello! It has been quite some time and I supposed a got a little kick in the backside from my mum who was asking the other day what had happened to my blog and if I had deleted it. After that call, I’ve been having a real think about why started this blog in the first place, and ultimately what I was trying to do was document a journey that fellow MS warriors could follow to see what another person’s medical and personal journey looked like. I’ve been writing for the MS Society which has been a great chance to connect with the community, but I have found myself slipping away from my own blog. When I started writing, I wanted to make sure that those who were newly diagnosed could hear frankly what a real experience looked like, but also walk through my mental processes as I worked through it myself. It isn’t all doom and gloom as it was told to me 5 years ago (and still can be I may add) but it is about learning the patterns of your body, utilising some handy tips and trick alon

Lemtrada, 2: 2/3

This is really short one as I feel really shattered after a 45 minute cannula ordeal that was literally so unnecessary and distressing. It has left me feeling really exhausted and it shook up a massive nervous reaction. I am otherwise really fine, the Lemtrada response itself was Alhamdulilah, as good as it could have been and I've seen signs of the rash and hoping to see more tomorrow so I know I my body is responding positively to it. I am ever grateful, and fortunate, but for today these are all the words I have. Keep me in your prayers and thoughts and find light in every space you can. Here's a poem I wrote that sums things up and I hope tomorrow my words will be full of more zest and greater strength inshallah: بردو قلبي And tell me something that washes over me Like ice water and a sea breeze Enough to take edge off the now And bring the light back to my eyes Cool the burning in my veins And loosen the knots in my lashes. Heal these