Skip to main content

3 Years

When I got the letter through the door, it struck me how once this very small intrusion would have made my heart stop. I would probably feel sick, be filled with trepidation and probably just let my mum open it. Then that would cushion the blow.


Nearly 7 years post-diagnosis, I'm a little calmer about those formal envelopes that follow me into my home a few times a year, taking the approach that there's nothing to deal with until the letter is completely read. On the letter; after another annual MRI, 3 years after my infusion treatment (Lemtrada), there's been no worsening in my lesions and no new ones. And I just thank God.


The optimist in me wants to jump up and down, and bounce off the ceiling cheering. The realist in me tells me this was really lucky and it's a miracle and this will change one day, that this is temporary. I'm working to sit somewhere between these two voices; being grateful and working to keep myself well.


Stress levels are the main reason I was shocked at my result. It astounds me that I haven't relapsed in the last 3 years. With multiple weddings, my own included, new jobs, further education and learning, and just life in general, I truly believed something somewhere would have deteriorated with the levels of anxiety I can carry. And it's amazing because apparently I'm happy to rock the anxiety gig for weeks.


Coronavirus threw its own challenges into the mix. The uncertainty, the infuriating politics and learning new social rules were one thing. Then having the added pressure of being confined to a small space not knowing when you would see the outside world again, the shit storm inside me was smashing up it's own collateral damage. There were days when all I would do was cry, have sleepless nights and visions of the death toll with fear for my friends on the frontline. I had symptomatic flare ups, tingling hands and numb feet, blurring visuals. And I'm here, I'm here with not further damage to my brain. Tell me it's not a miracle.


I made myself dress, and shower. I even wore clothes. Like actual clothes, and kept PJ's for the nights. Everyday was a battle and I by no means had it hard compared to so many others at all. Really, I had it so very easy really, and this situation has hit the whole world hard.


Lessons learnt here (no one has to take note, just run through my thought process with me here):


- Just do you, God knows everyone else is. Set your boundary, respect yourself and hold it. Whether that's in our new socially distant environment or simply dividing who you do and don't want to talk to. It's ok.


- Be so damn grateful. Who said today's gift and privilege would be for you tomorrow?


- Be kind. To yourself, to others. Pain is a spectrum, in different shades. But pain is pain no matter who you are.


- Quiet and stillness teach us something. They teach us to hear what is in our mind and what our body is telling us. It might not feel nice, but maybe we've spent an awfully long time not listening. Listen, process, do/be.


- Health is worth more than anything. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a shame it took a world pandemic to learn this one, and maybe we haven't really learnt (yes, this is aimed at the mass beach and pub goers, not sorry. And the government). If we don't consider these things first, nothing else can function. Maybe in years to come, this can be our priority over capitalism! I joke, this is unlikely to happen, but I can hope.

A little cynical and mostly tongue-in-cheek for this one, but maybe it's not all about things being cute and fun and aesthetically pleasing all the time. It's been a messy year,   and historical for many of us, but here is in an opportunity to learn; nothing is a given and without wellbeing and each other, humans cannot survive.


Dramatic, but until next time!





Comments

  1. Hello, as a former Muslim I can strongly recommend you regularly get a sun tan.

    I'm glad you're already taking in Vitamin D.

    Multiple Sclerosis is a real problem amongst Muslims, especially women. You can look up the Iranian MS problem if you want. Since they introduced Islamic clothing the rates of MS and other autoimmune diseases skyrocketed amongst women.

    Basically every third Muslim women my wife knew had a serious Autoimmune disorder, whereas in the general population it's more like 1/100 to 1/300.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to add, I've seen so many Muslim women with Hashimoto's disease or Graves disease, and almost all of them had advanced osteomalacia in their 30s.

    Just sad to see it, but what can you do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I appreciate this may be a difficult topic and I'm not particularly asking for advice based on my assumed ethnicity or religion.

    There are a lot of factors regarding my lifestyle that people may not know, and I'm not sure that MS is a particularly "Muslim problem" nor is my blog a platform for the analysis of religion and the impact it has on disease.

    Glad you've made your choices with your faith and life and wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you now ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Medicine

Hello! It has been quite some time and I supposed a got a little kick in the backside from my mum who was asking the other day what had happened to my blog and if I had deleted it. After that call, I’ve been having a real think about why started this blog in the first place, and ultimately what I was trying to do was document a journey that fellow MS warriors could follow to see what another person’s medical and personal journey looked like. I’ve been writing for the MS Society which has been a great chance to connect with the community, but I have found myself slipping away from my own blog. When I started writing, I wanted to make sure that those who were newly diagnosed could hear frankly what a real experience looked like, but also walk through my mental processes as I worked through it myself. It isn’t all doom and gloom as it was told to me 5 years ago (and still can be I may add) but it is about learning the patterns of your body, utilising some handy tips and trick alon

Lemtrada, 2: 2/3

This is really short one as I feel really shattered after a 45 minute cannula ordeal that was literally so unnecessary and distressing. It has left me feeling really exhausted and it shook up a massive nervous reaction. I am otherwise really fine, the Lemtrada response itself was Alhamdulilah, as good as it could have been and I've seen signs of the rash and hoping to see more tomorrow so I know I my body is responding positively to it. I am ever grateful, and fortunate, but for today these are all the words I have. Keep me in your prayers and thoughts and find light in every space you can. Here's a poem I wrote that sums things up and I hope tomorrow my words will be full of more zest and greater strength inshallah: بردو قلبي And tell me something that washes over me Like ice water and a sea breeze Enough to take edge off the now And bring the light back to my eyes Cool the burning in my veins And loosen the knots in my lashes. Heal these