Skip to main content

The Morning after the Last Day

A 4am post that won't be posted until a lot later but good morning! And what an interesting day the last day of Lemtrada was. In my experience of what having the infusion was like last year, I'd say this time round (so far) it has not been as draining as the five day round I sat through previously. 

The extra two days really took it out of me last summer, and whilst I'm not exactly bouncing off the walls, I'd say there's a bit more about me and I'm still strong enough to give sass to anyone who prevents me from satisfying a steroid-induced starvation pang. That's killer by the way, I could haven even eaten my own arm before lunch arrived yesterday and my lord has hospital food never tasted so heavenly. 

We got there. I mean, I look a bit like a have hives for periods of the day and slightly vacant, but this has been worth it and inshallah the long term will be the proof of that if I maintain a healthy life style that optimises the best this treatment could potentially offer me.

At the end of my five days last year, I had a huge surge of relief and a flood of emotion as we came to the closing of that final saline flush post a gruelling 8 hour infusion session. I recall it being the most glorious sunny day and I took myself outside to sit on the concrete slabs of University Hospital Southampton, in the city that held the memories of my undergraduate days. It was the place that held the memories of the starts of my friendships of my adult life, the beginning of my relationship with my now soon-to-husband 5 years later (who knew Z?), the endless nights of laughter and last minute library cramming sessions and now, the place I come to sit with a disease that I had never known had existed until it collided with me. 

It was pretty hard-hitting back then and I just gave myself some time to let all this wash over me. I felt the sun on my face, I drank coffee in a little blue mug and pressed my bare feet into the heat of the ground and it felt good.

Leaving yesterday was a different experience. It felt...done. There were no heartfelt emotions, no tears. No heart backflips and lumps in my through. It was a quick peel back of a cannula, 300 pages of a great book, at least half of the world's carb intake and a rocket-speed exit. Ok, maybe not rocket-speed, but it was different, and I think I'm just over it all, not in a resigned way, but more that I just don't want to give something like MS more time than it needs in this short time we have here. 

Don't get me wrong, I'll keep writing. I'll keep doing and tending to my body and my needs that's call out to me (and hopefully get to others before they do!) but I think my fundamental message is, we are so much bigger than the curses and secrets in our veins that are hidden from the human eye. 
We are more than the night sweats and the mood swings and the burst veins. We are solid humans and whatever physical hardship may be riding your back, it's only something that can define you if you let it.

I'm hoping that my optimism and fullstop on this particular chapter isn't short-lived, but that's where I am for now. My closing thoughts are less philosophical and related to shoving a croissant in my face, but to anyone who finds this and is fighting out there, just remember, you're bigger than it all, and no matter what, there are always ways to triumph over hardship and stop it from consuming who you truly are.


"We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt. But how were survive, is what makes us who we are". - Tim Mcilrath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Years

When I got the letter through the door, it struck me how once this very small intrusion would have made my heart stop. I would probably feel sick, be filled with trepidation and probably just let my mum open it. Then that would cushion the blow. Nearly 7 years post-diagnosis, I'm a little calmer about those formal envelopes that follow me into my home a few times a year, taking the approach that there's nothing to deal with until the letter is completely read. On the letter; after another annual MRI, 3 years after my infusion treatment (Lemtrada), there's been no worsening in my lesions and no new ones. And I just thank God. The optimist in me wants to jump up and down, and bounce off the ceiling cheering. The realist in me tells me this was really lucky and it's a miracle and this will change one day, that this is temporary. I'm working to sit somewhere between these two voices; being grateful and working to keep myself well. Stress levels are the main reason I was

My Medicine

Hello! It has been quite some time and I supposed a got a little kick in the backside from my mum who was asking the other day what had happened to my blog and if I had deleted it. After that call, I’ve been having a real think about why started this blog in the first place, and ultimately what I was trying to do was document a journey that fellow MS warriors could follow to see what another person’s medical and personal journey looked like. I’ve been writing for the MS Society which has been a great chance to connect with the community, but I have found myself slipping away from my own blog. When I started writing, I wanted to make sure that those who were newly diagnosed could hear frankly what a real experience looked like, but also walk through my mental processes as I worked through it myself. It isn’t all doom and gloom as it was told to me 5 years ago (and still can be I may add) but it is about learning the patterns of your body, utilising some handy tips and trick alon

Lemtrada, 2: 2/3

This is really short one as I feel really shattered after a 45 minute cannula ordeal that was literally so unnecessary and distressing. It has left me feeling really exhausted and it shook up a massive nervous reaction. I am otherwise really fine, the Lemtrada response itself was Alhamdulilah, as good as it could have been and I've seen signs of the rash and hoping to see more tomorrow so I know I my body is responding positively to it. I am ever grateful, and fortunate, but for today these are all the words I have. Keep me in your prayers and thoughts and find light in every space you can. Here's a poem I wrote that sums things up and I hope tomorrow my words will be full of more zest and greater strength inshallah: بردو قلبي And tell me something that washes over me Like ice water and a sea breeze Enough to take edge off the now And bring the light back to my eyes Cool the burning in my veins And loosen the knots in my lashes. Heal these