Skip to main content

Anti-Inflammatory Vibes

So, I am forever looking up the benefits of eating various foods and taking different supplements  and whether they are actually doing me any good at all. There has been a recent hype over clean/raw foods and it's easy to fall into the superfood phenomena, willing every morsel that passes our lips to be of some benefit to our body- especially since it can cost us a fortune. As you can imagine, I was delighted when Channel 4 released a programme called "Superfoods: The Real Story", that gave viewers insight into foods that have been sat in the spotlight as life changing and looking into whether they are really as amazing as they are painted to be. Particularly since diagnosis, I've been more conscious of what I put into my body and though none of these foods will get rid of the dreaded lesions, keeping my body in tip-top shape can only help keep me as strong as possible enabling a speedier recovery from potential relapse. At the end if this blog I'll put in a bunch of resources where I got my info from and I hope it helps.

Here are my top superfoods:

1) Tumeric
Certain family members and friends will be rejoicing at the fact that I am writing this. Tumeric has incredible anti-inflammatory properties and has been known to be an ancient remedy in eastern culture to aid symptoms of cold and flu. I wouldn't say it's my favourite ritual, but I drink a teaspoon of this with water and a battery of supplements every morning and twice daily when I have relapsed. I'm not claiming that this will cure anyone but there is a little evidence out there showing it reduces inflammation (which is what happens to our brains during relapse). Well, I'll give anything a go and if it's not doing any harm and may be doing even the tiniest bit of good I'm willing to stick it out. If you don't fancy the earthy taste of this spice on a daily, you can buy it in capsule form but the common powdered form is a lot cheaper. Here is a cheeky little recipe for golden milk if you fancy being experimental, I've tried it myself and it's not too bad!

(picture taken from thespiritscience.net)



2) Avocado
A friend of mine devours one of these regularly and she got me buzzing about them. I've always avoided avocados because they are notoriously fatty, but I learnt that that's where all their goodness lies. They are high in monounsaturated fat which is healthy fat that cuts back on cholesterol. Also, buzzing with B vitamins which is great for kicking out infection and disease. Brilliant in the winter months when immunity to colds can start getting pretty tough and we all know how hard they are to avoid. My friend mushes a ripe avo with salt and pepper and spreads on toast and I do the same but with zatar, an Arabic herb that's lemony and mixed with thyme. You can find zatar in the international food section of most supermarkets. Avocado is also delicious sliced into any salad and an absolute delight next to most fish.




3) Flaxseed
I buy these milled and put a little spoonful on my salads, in porridge or yoghurt and as a replacement for flour in pancakes. Really high in fibre making them great for digestion and slow-energy release (so they're fab for pushing through those long days with fatigue) and again anti-inflammatory. Guys, seriously these are bursting with Omega 3, which is just incredible for your brain and heart especially if you aren't a fish fan. I can't recommend these more highly and you can even get them in nice mixes with fruit and other seeds too!


I buy Linwoods all the time from Holland and Barratt and their varieties are so lovely.

4) Almonds
Another fatty but a goody and in small amounts actually aid with weight loss. Almonds are good for muscle and nerve function, so it's as if these little gems were made to help bounce back from relapse. We can't stop these things but we can definitely try to recover as quickly as possible.

5) Manuka Honey
This stuff is a godsend. I am in contact with so many people on a daily basis and everyone is carrying different germs that we can't avoid contact with. I take a teaspoon of this mixed into a cup of green tea through the winter months to combat chesty coughs and cold symptoms. Again, I'm not claiming it's a cure for anything, but honey is another ancient remedy known for being a natural antiseptic and is really soothing when you take it internally as well as being gorgeous on your skin too! Mankua honey is also antibacterial, so it's handy around Christmas time when everyone is packed into shopping centres and coffee shops and are sharing more than tidings of joy and good will. 

6) Broccoli
I really enjoy this veggie with everything. I like it on the side, I like it as the main show. Broccoli florets look like tiny trees, so they're fun and they are good for you! Full of vitamins A and C, it helps maintain functions in various parts of the body. It is also high in fibre and can be eaten raw or lightly steamed.

7) Salmon
Delicious and high in Omega 3, this is brain food at it's best. It has been found that Omega 3 lowers incidences of depression in cultures that eat Omega 3 rich foods regularly. It can also help with joint ache and stiffness. Salmon is really easy to get hold of and is packed with Omega 3, so it'll help with softening spasticity in limbs and can be enjoyed within a balanced diet.

8) Dates
When I get fatigued, it's very easy for me to want to hit the tea cupboard and get buzzing on caffeine. BUT, that's not good. The energy boost doesn't last long and caffeine is a bladder irritant which could lead to infection and that's no good for any MS sufferer. So, go grab a date. I'm serious, these are full of natural sugars, releasing quick energy without raising blood sugar levels due to their low GI. High in potassium and to a family of B vitamins, this is my most enjoyed energy food as part of a balanced diet.

(taken from http://www.nutsnspices.in/index.php?cPath=1_28)


Resources (this is where I got my info and where you can read more, remember, I'm not a doc)


http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-662-turmeric.aspx?activeingredientid=662&activeingredientname=turmeric

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/all-about-avocados

http://www.webmd.com/diet/benefits-of-flaxseed

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/11/why-almonds-are-good-for-you-vitamin-e

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/superfoods/pages/is-broccoli-a-superfood.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/omega-3-fatty-acids-fact-sheet


http://www.livestrong.com/article/507760-what-are-the-benefits-of-eating-dates/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Years

When I got the letter through the door, it struck me how once this very small intrusion would have made my heart stop. I would probably feel sick, be filled with trepidation and probably just let my mum open it. Then that would cushion the blow. Nearly 7 years post-diagnosis, I'm a little calmer about those formal envelopes that follow me into my home a few times a year, taking the approach that there's nothing to deal with until the letter is completely read. On the letter; after another annual MRI, 3 years after my infusion treatment (Lemtrada), there's been no worsening in my lesions and no new ones. And I just thank God. The optimist in me wants to jump up and down, and bounce off the ceiling cheering. The realist in me tells me this was really lucky and it's a miracle and this will change one day, that this is temporary. I'm working to sit somewhere between these two voices; being grateful and working to keep myself well. Stress levels are the main reason I was

My Medicine

Hello! It has been quite some time and I supposed a got a little kick in the backside from my mum who was asking the other day what had happened to my blog and if I had deleted it. After that call, I’ve been having a real think about why started this blog in the first place, and ultimately what I was trying to do was document a journey that fellow MS warriors could follow to see what another person’s medical and personal journey looked like. I’ve been writing for the MS Society which has been a great chance to connect with the community, but I have found myself slipping away from my own blog. When I started writing, I wanted to make sure that those who were newly diagnosed could hear frankly what a real experience looked like, but also walk through my mental processes as I worked through it myself. It isn’t all doom and gloom as it was told to me 5 years ago (and still can be I may add) but it is about learning the patterns of your body, utilising some handy tips and trick alon

Lemtrada, 2: 2/3

This is really short one as I feel really shattered after a 45 minute cannula ordeal that was literally so unnecessary and distressing. It has left me feeling really exhausted and it shook up a massive nervous reaction. I am otherwise really fine, the Lemtrada response itself was Alhamdulilah, as good as it could have been and I've seen signs of the rash and hoping to see more tomorrow so I know I my body is responding positively to it. I am ever grateful, and fortunate, but for today these are all the words I have. Keep me in your prayers and thoughts and find light in every space you can. Here's a poem I wrote that sums things up and I hope tomorrow my words will be full of more zest and greater strength inshallah: بردو قلبي And tell me something that washes over me Like ice water and a sea breeze Enough to take edge off the now And bring the light back to my eyes Cool the burning in my veins And loosen the knots in my lashes. Heal these